Barnegat Bay South Journal of Upsen Downs
9-3-07 Labor Day
Motored out of Mariners Marina, Bay ave. Barnegat, NJ at 10:30 am. 10-15 SSW winds. Single handed O'Day Mariner 19, hoisted jib, main got stuck. Climbed up and fixed it. Re-hoisted main. Hugged marshes heading east. Moving nicely, turned Whale point and headed southeast for Harvey Cedars. Shoal water, centerboard banging bottom I pulled it up a little. Blowing hard on a beat towards Harvey Cedars it felt 15 knots.
Made quick time across bay. Not many sailboats out, and not many powerboats. Won't be able to lower sails easily out in the open. Pulled into lee of Kinsey's Cove area.
1967 19' Oday Mariner
Watched a boat negotiate the small opening to the creek. Started the outboard, lowered the sails and motored in. The width of the creek quickly narrowed to just a few boat lengths. This being my first trip into the waterway, I lowered my speed. Waved to a family getting their SunFish off its mooring. It was dirty but floated proudly. Looking around there were small catboats, kayaks in backyards and many types of powerboats. The creek meanders around for a few hundred yards, comes upon a small boardwalk that leads to a very small cottage on its own very tiny island. A quick left turn, and I'm in Kinsey Cove.
Beautifully maintained homes and cottages line the shore. Three kids on surfboards are practicing standing on their boards and two fall off but one boy maintains his balance for several minutes. I wonder where the small beach is that Bob Rossiter told me about. I motor slowly towards the southeast corner of the cove. I remember Bob telling me its there. I head towards that corner and see a 20 foot seaweed covered beach between a bulkhead and a dock. I cut the engine and drift towards a telephone pole to tie up to. As I'm getting out of the boat, Mr. Kalf, the owner of the dock and I strike up a conversation. His catboat is tied to his dock and is itching for a sail. She is moving back and forth in her slip. We talk catboats and Kinsey Cove. The 62 storm ripped an inlet through just south of here and four of the original homes remain, Mr. Kalfs being one of them. "Anchor your stern on the port side and tie a line from your starboard stern side to the beach and she won't swing around". I do as he says and she stays put. "Enjoy your swim", he says as I head towards the ocean.
A two or three minute walk later and I'm sniffing the ocean breeze. Sneakers off at the dunes, a short walk to the lifeguarded beach and I'm ready for a swim. The waves are perfect for bodysurfing. I catch three or four all the way in stopping each time as my belly hits the sand. Perfect water temperature, small crowd and very invigorating. I dry off, drink the rest of my 12 oz. water bottle and head back to the boat. The small boardwalk leading to the street has a drinking fountain that I refill my bottle with. Further on and outside shower. I would have rinsed the salt water off had I known.
I cross Long Beach Blvd. at the light without having to wait for traffic. Past the Plantation restaurant I notice its either closed or only open for dinner as no cars are in the lot. I'd like to bring wife Linda and daughter Carly back for a meal another time.
I cut down the alley behind the Plantation and see a couple park their car and walk to the Kinsey beach for a swim. As they wade in another family brings their dog and plays fetch in the water as two kayakers float around. One man has a small toddler on his lap as he paddles the gentle cove.
I slowly pull up the anchor and stow it away, the whole time enjoying the quaint environ not many stumble upon. The motor starts and the kayakers and dog paddle by. Setting on my way to open water I know I have to return. Mr. Kalf hails, "Hope to see you again"! I reply, I'll be back!

Comments

David said…
A delightful tale of a delightful little cruise. Thanks for sharing. I'm getting my O'Day Mariner setup for a little cruising, too. More here: http://Mariner1460.blogspot.com

Popular posts from this blog

Kinsey Cove

How Morrell almost lost the race!