How Morrell almost lost the race!


Iron Mike Sluzenski bow, Rick Reddog Dove stern. Strong catch of stroke.
Brigantine bay, New Jersey 1979.
We did our last set of starts, making sure we hit our first 10 strokes as fast as possible. Practice had went well and my bowman Mike "Slu" Sluzenski pulled the truck near the race boat as I took the oars and set them in the truck bed. One of the local girls walked by and Lieutenant Mike "Thor" Morrell pulled up on the patrol quad. We chatted a minute but wanted to get the footbraces and seats out of the boat and left Morrell and Sherry to talk. I hear a loud cackle from Morrell as he and Sherry take off down the beach in the truck. I yell, "get back here with our oars!" and Morrell just cackles harder.  About twenty minutes went by and we had walked up to Beach Patrol Headquarters and Morrell pulls up laughing his patented cackle. "Real funny Thor!" I annoyingly shout. I walk around to the back of the truck and Slu's bow oars are there, but only one of my stern oars. "Yo Thor, where's my other stern oar?" "I don't know, what its not in there?"
At first I thought he was playing a joke on me but when he told me how fast he drove to the the deserted north end bouncing over uneven beach, I knew he wasn't kidding.
 The next day, the day of the biggest race on the lifeguard circuit was the 1979 South Jerseys, to be held this year on our neighbor beach and main rival, Atlantic City who had earned the chance to host by winning the title last summer. 13 cities compete from Brigantine to Cape May Point.
Since having given up the late afternoon early evening search for my oar yesterday I now had to locate a decent left oar. I commandeered several and after testing them, found only one that was not worn out as they often do by the end of the summer and bungie corded it up with the rest of the oars. 
During warmups I didn't really like the way the oar felt as I applied pressure through each stroke. "Hey man!" I told myself, "no excuses, it will fine!"  The oar would wiggle in the water ever so slightly making gripping it an effort in concentration.
 I said nothing to my colleague, at Atlantic City High School and a Physics teacher. and partner.  Slu, who as bowman keeps course and was wrapped up as I later found out in applying a triangulation formula so that he had points on land to guide us out to our flag thus covering the shortest distance.
Starting signal flag is raised up, we see it drop and we get a great start, and make it out perfectly to our turning buoy first.
We had trained with the idea that we wanted to win big so no one could sneak by us by catching a sea from further out.  A boat further out get the waves first. Sure enough with what seemed like a comfortable 6-8 boat length lead, here come's big 6'6'' bow man Sam Downs and his sternman flying down the biggest wave of the day, almost straight at us.
 The wierd thing about rowing is your always looking back not forward like most racing. So we get a birds eye view of Sam's boat growing ever larger. As they got within a boat length of us, I lost all feeling in my left forearm and the oar started sliding out of the boat. Slu who never yells, shouted! "grab that oar this race isn't over yet!" I had one chance, reached out grabbed the handle by the very tip and I made it count! I managed to pull in unison with Slu for several more strokes and as Downs fell off his wave in the gulley we caught the same one and shot an arrow straight into the beach winning Brigantines' first doubles victory in the history of the South Jerseys dating back to 1926. 
Singles man Mark Spencer sealed the team title by winning his race, likewise arrowing straight into the beach.   South Jersey Champs: In boat left to right Spencer, Dove Sluzenski.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kinsey Cove